New Western Talent 2022
Open Call: January 28 – March 27, 2022
New Western Talent is the premier juried online exhibition and sale highlighting up-and-coming 2-D artists focusing on landscape, cowboy, Native and wildlife subjects, represented in styles varying from abstract to photorealistic and classic to contemporary. Artists are juried on a three-piece body of work.
New, emerging and mid-career artists ages 18+ are invited to submit work for consideration for New Western Talent. International applicants and all 2-D mediums are welcome.
Categories include Drawing, Painting, Photography, Digital Media, Mixed-Media/Collage and Other Media.
Previous years’ artists and applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply!
Application deadline has passed.
- Artists are to present 3 pieces to be reviewed as a small body of work
- Attention will be paid to aesthetics, concept, subject and execution. All styles are welcome.
- Best in Show award based on jury scores, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Best in Category awards based on jury scores for Drawing, Painting, Photography, Digital Media and Mixed-Media/Collage. Winners will be featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Curator’s Award to be chosen by gallery director, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- People’s Choice award featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Top 10 Finalists will be featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- All exhibited works will be offered for sale by Western Gallery for the duration of the show.
- All submissions will be considered to be featured on social media and podcast interviews.
Ash Loveless is the Gallery Director at Parsons of the West in Taos, located in the former studio and home of Victor Higgins, and representing a large selection of pieces by “living masters” such as Roseta Santiago, Mark Maggiorri and John Moyers.
WORKS PER ENTRY
3 works must be submitted per application. One application per artist.
All wall-hangable mediums are welcome.
From 8 x 8″ up to 36 x 36.”
All works must be ready to hang.
Each work must be submitted with at least three photos and one video:
- One tightly-cropped image of the work (full image, no frame or background)
- One head-on image of the work hung or displayed as finished (framed, gallery wrapped, wood cradle, etc.)
- One angled image of the work hung or displayed as finished
- One landscape-oriented video documenting the work — a smartphone video is perfect. The idea is to convey the sense of the work as an object, showing angles, texture and/or detail. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
* Special note for PHOTOGRAPHERS and/or DIGITAL ARTISTS: Unless you have physical framed prints on hand, you may send only your head-on image and a mock-up of what your work can look like once printed and framed. No video will be required.
- Photos must be at least 1200px on the short side
- Files must be 15 MB or less
- Files must be named using the pattern:
Each original work must be priced between $200 and $4,000.
Works are to be shipped domestically at the artists’ expense, only upon sale. For international orders, shipping may be paid by the buyer.
- Standard terms are a 65/35 split (65% of sale funds going to the artist).
- Award-winning pieces will be sold at reduced 20% commission (80% of the sale funds going to the artist).
- Participating artists must sign a 90 day consignment contract upon acceptance to the show.
January 28 – Feburary 28: $20 (Earlybird Discount)
March 1 – March 27: $35
Why is there an application fee?
Fees go entirely to the production of the exhibit, promotion and show administration. WG doesn’t believe in “pay to play” or vanity galleries; we’re here to support and promote artists, so our fees are set as low as possible while still allowing us to host a high quality exhibition. Kate Mothes of the contemporary venue Young Space has a great article about Open Calls and application fees that just about sums it up. Please check it out if you’re concerned about the fee.
Application deadline has passed.
Application Deadline: March 27, 2022
All application materials must be submitted by Sunday, March 27. Fees will not be refunded for incomplete applications.
Acceptance Notifications: April 29, 2022
Acceptance status will be sent to all applicants.
Show and Sale: May 22 – June 27, 2022
The show will be live online, with work for sale beginning May 22, 2022. The sale will close on June 27, 2022, and the show will be archived.