Call for Entries
New Western Talent
Open Call: February 8 – April 8, 2020
New Western Talent is a juried online exhibition and sale designed to highlight up-and-coming 2-D artists focusing on landscape, cowboy, native and wildlife subjects, represented in styles varying from abstract to photorealistic and classic to contemporary. Artists will present three pieces and be juried on the whole of their submitted work.
New, emerging and mid-career artists ages 18+ are invited to submit work for consideration for New Western Talent. International applicants and all 2-D mediums are welcome.
- Artists are to present 3 recent pieces to be reviewed as a small body of work
- Attention will be paid to aesthetics, concept, subject and execution. All styles are welcome.
- Best in Show and additional awards based on jury scores, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Curator’s award to be chosen by gallery director, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- One artist will be selected to be featured on Season 2 of Horizons by Western Gallery podcast (2020).
- All submissions will be considered to be featured on social media and podcast interviews.
- All artists selected to participate will have the option to consign work for sale by Western Gallery for the duration of the show.
- Artists NOT selected to participate will receive “How to Make Your Art Stand Out in the New Digital Landscape,” a PDF written by George Irwin of Western Gallery.
Working as a gallerist at LewAllen Galleries in Santa Fe, Brandon represents some of the most important artists in classic contemporary, modern and western art.
A contributor to Western Art Scene, Rose is an Arkansas cattle rancher and a bonafide western art enthusiast, travelling to shows and museums whenever she can get away.
Award-winning pieces will be sold at 0% commission (100% of the sale funds going to the artist).
Standard terms will be a 70/30 split (70% of sale funds going to the artist).
Artists will be responsible for shipping only upon sale.
Participating artists may consign or exclude from the sale any accepted work. A simple consignment contract will be sent upon acceptance to the show.
Feb 8 – Mar 8: $15 (Earlybird Discount)
Mar 9 – Apr 8: $25
Why is there an application fee?
Fees go entirely to the production of the exhibit, promotion and show administration. WG doesn’t believe in “pay to play” or vanity galleries; we’re here to support and promote artists, so our fees are set as low as possible while still allowing us to host a high quality exhibition. Kate Mothes of the contemporary venue Young Space has a great article about Open Calls and application fees that just about sums it up. Please check it out if you’re concerned about the fee.
Application Deadline: April 8, 2020
All application materials must be submitted by April 8. Fees will not be refunded for incomplete applications.
Acceptance Notifications: April 30, 2020
Acceptance status will be sent to all applicants, along with the “How to Make Your Art Stand Out in the New Digital Landscape” PDF by April 30.
Show and Sale: May 8 – 31, 2020
The show will be live online, with work for sale beginning May 8, 2020. The sale will close and the show will be archived on May 31, 2020.