Open Call: January 25 – February 28, 2021
Show Dates: March 26 – April 27, 2021
Inspired by the visual magic of a full-spectrum rainbow palette, the rapid metamorphosis of the art world into new consumption and business models, and a cultural moment to celebrate inclusion and brighter days ahead, In Rainbows will be an online celebration of the rainbow in fine art.
All artists ages 18+ are invited to enter relevant work in any medium to be considered for In Rainbows. International applicants are welcome.
Awards and Benefits
- Accepted works will be exhibited and offered for sale by Western Gallery for the duration of the show.
- One or more accepted works will be featured in a limited edition show poster.
- Awards to be named by gallery director will be featured on the @WesternGallery instagram and archived on the western.gallery website.
- Accepted works will be featured on the @WesternGallery instagram and archived on the western.gallery website.
- Accepted works will be considered to be featured in digital and print show advertisements.
- All entries will be considered to be featured on social media and podcast interviews.
- All applicants—including artists NOT selected to participate—will receive a free show poster, and will be considered for future invitations to show with Western Gallery.
- In Rainbows will be juried and curated by gallery director George Irwin.
- Artists are to present one to three pieces. Works will be juried individually.
- Attention will be paid to aesthetics, concept, subject, execution and professionalism. All styles and media are welcome so long as the work is rainbow-related.
All entered works must feature at least one of the following:
- a literal rainbow or rainbows
- a notable rainbow palette
- a rainbow design element or elements
WORKS PER ENTRY
1-3 works may be submitted per application. One application per artist.
All mediums are welcome, including sculpture, art jewelry and fine housewares.
From tiny up to 30 x 30.”
All works must be ready to hang, display, use or wear.
Each work must be submitted with at least three photos.
- One tightly-cropped image of the work (full image, no frame or background)
- One head-on image of the work hung or displayed as finished (framed, gallery wrapped, wood cradle, etc.)
- One angled image of the work hung or displayed as finished
- Images of the work from at least two different angles with minimal background
- One image of the work on display, in use or as to be displayed
- Photos must be at least 1200px on the short side
- Files must be 15 MB or less
- Files must be named using the pattern: lastname—title-of-artwork.jpg
All single original works must be priced from $250 – $5,000. Editions of screen prints, ceramics, etc., may be priced lower.
Works are to be shipped domestically at the artists’ expense, only upon sale. For international orders, shipping will be paid by the buyer.
Standard terms will be a 70/30 split (70% of sale funds going to the artist).
A consignment agreement and inventory form must be completed along with the application. Participating artists must consign accepted works for 90 days.
Application Dates and Fees
Jan 25 – Jan 31: $20 (Early bird discount)
Feb 1 – Feb 28: $30
Why is there an application fee?
Fees go entirely to the production of the exhibit, promotion and show administration. WG doesn’t believe in “pay to play” or vanity galleries; we’re here to support and promote artists, so our fees are set as low as possible while still allowing us to host a high quality exhibition. Kate Mothes of the contemporary venue Young Space has a great article about Open Calls and application fees that just about sums it up. Please check it out if you’re concerned about the fee.
Please note: Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Application fees are non-refundable.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021
All application materials must be submitted by February 28. Fees will not be refunded for incomplete applications.
Acceptance Notifications: March 13, 2021
Acceptance status will be sent to all applicants by March 13.
Show and Sale: Friday, March 26 – Tuesday, April 27, 2021
The show will be live online, with work for sale beginning March 26. The sale will close on April 27 and the show will be archived thereafter.