New Western Talent 2021
Open Call: March 9 – April 18, 2021
New Western Talent is the premier juried online exhibition and sale highlighting up-and-coming 2-D artists focusing on landscape, cowboy, Native and wildlife subjects, represented in styles varying from abstract to photorealistic and classic to contemporary. Artists are juried on a three-piece body of work.
New, emerging and mid-career artists ages 18+ are invited to submit work for consideration for New Western Talent. International applicants and all 2-D mediums are welcome.
- Artists are to present 3 recent pieces to be reviewed as a small body of work
- Attention will be paid to aesthetics, concept, subject and execution. All styles are welcome.
- Best in Show award based on jury scores, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Curator’s award to be chosen by gallery director, featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- People’s Choice award featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- Top 10 Finalists will be featured on the WG instagram feed and archived on the WG website.
- All exhibited works and awards will be included in a hardcover art book, documenting the show.
- All exhibited works will be offered for sale by Western Gallery for the duration of the show.
- All submissions will be considered to be featured on social media and podcast interviews.
Meet the Jury
Ed Roberson is a Colorado-based conservationist and creator of Mountain & Prairie—a top podcast about important work in the American West. Having interviewed Logan Hagege, Mark Maggiori, Duke Beardsley and last year’s NWT best-in-show winner Morgan Irons, Ed has a proven eye for western art.
Emily is the curator at the Briscoe Western Art Museum in San Antonio, Texas. Prior to the Briscoe, Emily worked in curatorial roles at the CM Russell Museum in Great Falls, Montana and at the Whitney Western Art Museum in Cody, Wyoming. When she’s not studying western art, she enjoys hiking and getting outdoors.
WORKS PER ENTRY
3 works must be submitted per application. One application per artist.
All wall-hangable mediums are welcome.
From 8 x 8″ up to 48 x 48.”
All works must be ready to hang.
Each work must be submitted with at least three photos:
- One tightly-cropped image of the work (full image, no frame or background)
- One head-on image of the work hung or displayed as finished (framed, gallery wrapped, wood cradle, etc.)
- One angled image of the work hung or displayed as finished
- Photos must be at least 1200px on the short side
- Files must be 15 MB or less
- Files must be named using the pattern:
Each original work must be priced between $200 and $6,000.
Works are to be shipped domestically at the artists’ expense, only upon sale. For international orders, shipping may be paid by the buyer.
- Standard terms are a 70/30 split (70% of sale funds going to the artist).
- Award-winning pieces will be sold at reduced 15% commission (85% of the sale funds going to the artist).
- Participating artists must sign a 90 day consignment contract upon acceptance to the show.
March 9 – March 23: $20 (Earlybird Discount)
March 24 – April 18, 2021: $30
Why is there an application fee?
Fees go entirely to the production of the exhibit, promotion and show administration. WG doesn’t believe in “pay to play” or vanity galleries; we’re here to support and promote artists, so our fees are set as low as possible while still allowing us to host a high quality exhibition. Kate Mothes of the contemporary venue Young Space has a great article about Open Calls and application fees that just about sums it up. Please check it out if you’re concerned about the fee.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2021
All application materials must be submitted by April 18. Fees will not be refunded for incomplete applications.
Acceptance Notifications: April 30, 2021
Acceptance status will be sent to all applicants.
Show and Sale: May 28 – June 28, 2021
The show will be live online, with work for sale beginning May 28, 2021. The sale will close on June 28, 2021, and the show will be archived.